PROGRAMMES OF STUDIES AND TERM CALENDAR
The Academic year is divided into two semesters of 15 weeks each :
- First semester : from the beginning of the academic year to the first week of February.
- Second semester : from the end of February to the end of June.
Vacation periods :
- Christmas : 14 day vacation, from ca. December 20 to January 3/5
- Easter : 14 day vacation in April/May (new calendar every year)
- Intersemester : second and third weeks of February.
THE CLASSES OR TEACHING UNITS (unités d'enseignement or UE).
Teaching Units are usually 30 hours long. They may correspond to :
- a weekly 2 hour lecture (or a seminar) for a 15 week period known as a semester :
- the combination of two 15 hour modules (a module being equal to 2 hours every week for 7 weeks + the exam session)
- an annual course of 2 hours once a fortnight or 1 hour once a week
There are four types of assessment :
- coursework and project work
- final examinations at the end of each semester
- three cross-disciplinary examinations (see Study Guide) at the end of semesters (i.e. beginning of February and end of June)
- the examination of reports on work placements and dissertations
There are three sessions of examinations :
February session :
- final exams : last two weeks of January and first week of February
- cross-disciplinary exams : first week of February
- examination of reports and dissertations : before end of February
June session :
- final exams : last two weeks of June
- cross-disciplinary exams and first semester resits : June 25 to 30
- examination of reports and dissertations : before July 15
September session :
- second semester resits : first week of October
- examination of reports and dissertations : before October 31.